Cypress Grove Road in Templeogue occupies the site of a private avenue leading to the old house of that name. Cypress Grove House was built in the first half of the eighteenth century by a Mr. Paine and later became the residence of Sir William Cooper, Master in Chancery and Member of Parliament who died here in 1761. It was next occupied by the Countess of Clanbrassil from whom it passed to her grandson, Viscount Jocelyn. During Viscount Jocelyn’s time it was attacked by robbers one night when one of his sons happened to be home on leave from the Royal Navy. Lieutenant Jocelyn drew his sword and wounded one of the robbers in the head and arm. A man was arrested and brought before Major Sirr, the Chief of Police in Dublin, but Jocelyn could not identify him. On examination, however, sword cuts were found on his head and arm. He saved his life by informing on his accomplices and also confessed that they had committed the great robbery in Dublin Castle in December 1794.
During the Countess Clanbrassil’s occupation, the house was described as an irregular old building, and the grounds as small but laid out in exquisite taste with gardens, shrubberies and a pond. The pond was an artificial lake which was fed by a three inch pipe which came from the mill near Templeogue House. It overflowed through a series of underground culverts which supplied water for some houses in the area. When the roads were being built in 1961-62, the underground channels were destroyed and the pond became stagnant. To prevent pests, it had to be filled in.
The house was later occupied by Orrs, who were merchants, Duffys who had calico print works at Ballsbridge, and Mr. Charles King. From 1908 to 1925 the house was occupied by Mr. G.H. Stepney who changed the name to ‘Alberta’ but it was changed back to the original ‘Cypress Grove’ by the next owner, Patrick Walsh. In the 1950s the house was owned by Redmond Gallagher, the owner of the Urney Chocolate Factory, which manufactured confectionery on the Belgard Road in Tallaght. Since 1961, the house has been occupied by the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers). Three of the original cypress trees still stand east of the house.