Back by Popular Demand!
The Great War Exhibition travels to Ballyroan Library
Orchardstown Avenue, Rathfarnham
Exhibition runs until December 23rd 2014.
Following the recent run of the very successful “Ireland and the Great War” exhibition in the County Library in Tallaght, it has now travelled to Ballyroan Library and will be on display in the exhibition space there until the 23rd of December.
Each piece in the exhibition tells a story, especially so the Irishmen’s service medals on display. These were issued after the war with the recipient’s name and number impressed on the edge (and on the back in the case of the 1914 and 1914/15 Star). This has enabled their stories to be researched and retold. They are remembered and presented here in an attempt to personalise the tragedy that was the Great War.
As before, the exhibition includes a concise timeline and a set of information panels courtesy of the Imperial War Museum covering the main battles, plus seven panels by the Local Studies section, detailing aspects of the conflict that uniquely affected Ireland
The exhibition serves as a tribute to the many hundreds of thousands of men and women of both sides who perished in the conflict, each one leaving grieving parents and next of kin. It also commemorates those who returned, mentally and physically scarred by their experiences, to a world utterly changed by the war.
The launch took place on Monday night, of ‘Landscapes of War and Peace 1914-2014: War Poetry and Peacekeeping’ by Michael J. Whelan.
This exhibition, which is part of the Red Line Book Festival, includes an Irish soldier’s poems and images inspired by the poets of the Great War and his own peacekeeping duties in modern day conflicts in the Middle-East and Balkans. Also being exhibited are historical artefacts and documents of family history over the past 100 years, poems and other paraphernalia from World War I and UN Peacekeeping duties.
Thank you to Mayor Fintan Warfield and Brigadier General Paul Fry who launched the exhibition.
The exhibition can be viewed at the County Library, Tallaght until 23rd October 2014, during library opening hours.
Mayor Fintan Warfield launching the exhibition
Michael J Whelan with David Power (South Dublin Libraries), Brigadier General Paul Fry and Maria Donohoe (South Dublin Libraries)
Mayor Fintan Warfield with Ambassador Dominick Chilcott, British Ambassador to Ireland
Photos by David Power
This exhibition, which is currently running at the County Library, Tallaght, explores the history of Dublin’s Fire Brigades from their origins in the ‘parish pump’ brigades, through to the insurance brigades and the Dublin Fire Brigade’s involvement in the 1916 Rising, War of Independence and Civil War. The exhibition features fantastic artefacts from the personal collection of Las Fallon, fireman and former curator of the Dublin Fire Brigade Museum. South Dublin Libraries will publish a book by Las Fallon, entitled Dublin Fire Brigade and the Irish Revolution in September 2012.
Dublin’s Fire Brigades: 300 Years of Firefighting in Dublin runs at the County Library, Tallaght until 20th September 2012 during library opening hours. All welcome!
Mervyn Ennis will read excerpts from his book
Once Upon a Time in Tallaght, Tinker Tales and Traveller Stories
and will invite comments, questions and stories from the audience next Thursday evening 22nd March 2012
at 7:00 p.m. at the County Library, Tallaght.
The County Library is also currently hosting Altered Images, an exhibition of George Gmelch’s photographs of the Travelling community in Rathfarnham in the early 1970s. George Gmelch is currently Professor of Anthropology at the University of San Francisco. The photographs on display were taken during 1971 and 1972 when he and his wife Sharon, both American college students, came to Ireland to study Traveller life. They purchased a wagon and lived among the Travelling community for a number of months in Holylands, Rathfarnham while they carried out their fieldwork.
This striking exhibition runs until the end of March 2012.
Mary Joyce, Kathleeen McAleer Joyce, and Mick Donoghue. From the George Gmelch Collection, South Dublin Libraries.
Have you paid a visit to Rathfarnham Castle lately? Last month they launched The Berkeley Costume and Toy Collection which is collection of 18th and 19th Century toys, dolls and costumes. The collection is the passion of Irish artist and collector Countess Ann Griffin Bernstorff who began assembling it over twenty years ago, from her own family heirlooms and from auctions and donations. The items cover a period of eighty years, from 1740 to 1820, and range from rare and delicate artefacts to simple playthings and everyday garments of the past.
The fascinating toys and fabulous costumes bring the elegant and historic rooms of Rathfarnham Castle to life. It is the perfect setting to display this collection and to bring it to a wider audience.The exhibition will run for the next ten years.
A visit is highly recommended! It’s an amazing place to have on our doorstep. Rathfarnham Castle’s Winter opening hours are : 10.00 – 17:00 Wednesday – Sunday. Admission is completely free, tours are self guided but a guided tour can be prearranged if required. Groups of ten or more must book in advance. There’s a really nice café there too 🙂
The Irish Air Corps has operated from Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel for nearly 90 years and has in that time been a constant presence in the skies over South Dublin County. In times of peace and war, fair weather and foul, day and night, the air has hummed to the sound of beating propellers or whining jets as Air Corps aircraft and their crews have passed overhead in the course of their duty.
South Dublin County Council is pleased to host South Dublin Skies and the Irish Air Corps since 1922 at RUA RED, an exhibition offering a unique opportunity to learn more about the Air Corps, its equipment, personnel, and its illustrious service to the State.
It runs from 6th to 17th October at RUA RED, South Dublin Arts Centre, Tallaght. www.ruared.ie