Cursis Stream – the vanished hamlet.

The name Cursis Stream is not one that would be recognisable to the inhabitants of South Dublin County today. It may be more so if we add that it was a small hamlet that existed around the Deadman's Inn, and through which it would have been necessary to pass if travelling from Dublin City towards... Continue Reading →

Advertisements

The Nation 1845-1846

On the 28th February, South Dublin Libraries received a most generous donation of 'The Nation' newspaper to our Local Studies research library from Mícheál Beatty. The Nation was a nationalist, weekly newspaper that was founded by Thomas Davis, Charles Gavan Duffy & John Blake Dillon in 1842. They were members of Daniel O'Connell's Repeal Association,... Continue Reading →

An Cead Dáil – Centenary Exhibition

To mark the 100 year anniversary of the First Dáil, South Dublin Libraries is hosting an exhibition which can be viewed in Tallaght, Ballyroan, Clondalkin and Lucan libraries. The exhibition shows how the events of the First World War paved the way for Sinn Féin's landslide election victory in 1918, along with the events of... Continue Reading →

Cunard steamships, Christmas 1913

In the Christmas Daily Freeman (covered in our last post) published exactly 105 years ago today, among the ads for festive goods there is a small unassuming advertisement for the Cunard shipping company. It details the ships that traversed the Atlantic at the time, and includes the ill-fated RMS Lusitania, which was to be torpedoed... Continue Reading →

Christmas 1913

Among our collection of archival material to be digitised is a copy of the Weekly Freeman (Christmas Number) dated the 13th of November 1913. It is a fascinating insight into Christmases of yesteryear, and proof (if any were needed) that the Festive Season must have been every bit as stressful then as it is nowadays, with advertisements... Continue Reading →

The Tallaght Motor Racing Circuit 1935 – 1948

This photographic exhibition on display in County Library Tallaght during August evokes memories of a time when Main Street, Tallaght resounded to the roar of racing car engines. The Tallaght circuit ran from Main Street, Tallaght to Templeogue bridge then along Firhouse Road to Oldbawn and back to Main Street. The races were major events... Continue Reading →

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑